The versatile Spiral CAT (Computerized Axial Tomography) machine produces a cross section image of the body's internal organs. These images assist your physician with diagnosing a broad range of condition. If you are scheduled for a CAT Scan:
- Exams typically require last only 15 minutes
- Be sure to drink plenty of fluids the day before a head, chest, or abdominal scan.
- On the day your Scan is scheduled, arrive 30 minutes early to take care of any necessary paperwork at Outpatient Registration.
- If having an abdominal and/or pelvic scan, you will need to drink liquid barium - half a bottle two hours before the scan and the other half one hour before the scan. Please be sure not to eat anything four hours prior to the exam.
- Most spinal and head scans require no special patient preparations or restrictions.